URL for a specific unique record

In an email and SMS I’d like to send a URL to an end recipient so they’re able to view a specific record.

Let’s say the record is an Invoice related to the Customer.

The action button would trigger sending the email/SMS but include the URL string + variable for the Invoice that I selected. I don’t want that recipient to be required to authenticate to view the record either.

I’ve been scratching my head as to how to go about retrieving the unique record ID to pass that through to the action button and automation.

My assumption is Pipes of some kind…anyone have some ideas?

Off the top of my head, you can save a record ID to a record through table rules, tasks, and I believe form record rules. After doing that, you can have an equation field that concatenates a URL + the record ID field.

Take a look at the URL of a page you’re trying to share to see how the URL would be formatted.

When view a URL, the string is unique - I’m unsure how this is set. For instance:

…/job-details/DkMjm2qrvV

The unique string at the end must be coming from the individual record I’m viewing. If I can find out from where to pull that string, I’ll be in good shape.

Yup yup, sorry that’s what I meant. That string is the record ID.

Here’s an example of a details page

https://dataflowstudios.tadabase.io/snippet-library/code-snippets/code-snippet-details/DVWQWRNZ49

So first things first, go into your table rules on the data builder and create a rule that sets a text field to a record value of Record ID on record creation. In my example URL above, the record ID of DVWQWRNZ49 would be saved to a field for the relevant record.

Then create an equation field

CONCAT(‘ https://dataflowstudios.tadabase.io/snippet-library/code-snippets/code-snippet-details/’,{record_id_text_field})

I think I have that equation right. But anyways, that will build the URL I posted at the beginning of this post in a field that’s usable in emails.

1 Like

it is likely that you will not be able to write, calculate and send the link (with the rules) in a single step, but instead have to make 2 forms with 2 data entry steps,

Tim,

You’re the man. Until now I hadn’t explore Table Rules, now I’ve got the unique string showing in the table. Rather simple setup here, with a slightly different format.

Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 5.32.59 PM

Ah that’s perfect! Hope it works well for you.

1 Like

I used this today and it was epic!!!