I’ve been mindlessly browsing through the community hoping to stumble on something, anything, to help me, and I ironically ended up on this post.
I, too, have been wishing for ‘better support’ - I’m sitting in Johannesburg (GMT+2) so my time zone challenge is bigger than a US-coast challenge. But I knew this was the case going into Tadabase, so it’s more about my state of mind/frustration than the level/nature of support offered by the Tadabase team.
Recently Chem very kindly helped me with some pipe and JS stuff, to make some pages work in a way that would suit one of our use cases perfectly.
But I’ve been struggling - the pages sometimes work and sometimes they don’t. I even reached out to Chem and he sent a ‘version 2’ of his JS code to try and help with the issues.
This week, I’ve spent a few days going through everything in the builder, time and time again, scouring for errors, trying to figure out the cause of our problems*.
Ultimately I think it could be due to the latency from South Africa to the tadabase servers (causing the chained JS and pipes to fail eratically)…
… but reading between the lines, have there perhaps also been some Tadabase-related issues in the last few days/week that may have been causing my problems too? (I’ve checked the status page page and seen nothing there, and have thus been triple-checking everything on my side and not reaching out to support and potentially wasting their time.)
*My findings are in-conclusive, and my experience on this end has been very erratic (with a local ISP connectivity issue exacerbating things) but I’ve seen what appears to be pipes not firing 100% of the time, pages varying in load time (sometimes with us having to refresh to get past a ‘hung’ page loading symbol), JS code not executing as expected and perhaps form/record rules not firing 100% of the time.
If there have been problems on the Tadabase-platform side, that would be a great relief (in a weird way).