Connected child tables on individual pages

Hi, just exploring TB as an option to replace my Alpha Software app.

My app will have many child tables and the customer may jump to any of the child tables. Id like the child tables to be on each of their own pages but it looks like id need to have them all on one page. I can see how i will do this when a customer logs in with filters to logged in user but am finding it difficult to find a solution for the employees.

In our current app, we initialise variables, one being CustomerID when the customer is selected and then each table/page is filtered on that variable. i can see that i can set an autonumber field as a variable but i cant see how to filter the tables/pages by that variable. doesn’t seem to be an option.

Hope this pic helps my explanation. Is there a way around this.

thanks for looking

Hi @richardch372 -

Welcome to the TB Community! We are here to help as much as we can. Could you clarify a bit more what your end result would optimally look/function like? I am not quite following what you would like.

If you’d like to jump on a quick Zoom call I’d be happy to see if we can discuss your needs. I am not an expert but have been working with the platform for several years.

DM me if you’d like to video conference.

Cheers,
Adam

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your message and the offer of a call, which could be useful. I’m not very good at explaining these types of things but hope this helps garner a solution.

Employee selects a customer from the users table which open the records detailed page.
from this point, the employee will want to visit any page to the related to the selcted customer. There are quite a few.

from what i gather so far, all related/connected tables need to be on one page being the customers details page. This doesn’t work for us and doesn’t make for a very clean UI. So, is there a way to navigate to any page with a data table and have those records filtered to the selected customer?

Hope this pcs help my explanation.

@richardch372 -

This can 100% be done natively in Tadabase. I have created a short video on how to do that. Hope it helps.

A couple of key notes when viewing this video and setting up your table/page structure:

• All child tables must be linked FROM the child table TO the parent table. In other words, you can’t have a child without a parent. The connection filed in the Data (table) builder MUST be from the child to the parent. There are very limited circumstances where a parent link would be to a child (I won’t go into that detail right now so as to not confuse you).

• Use the native css class of “hide” to hide the different details page columns in your Customers table. This will hide the column that will hold the different child data on the different pages.

• Use a Link Button component in your main Customer’s details page to link to the connected/linked pages. Remember to use the “Linked Pages” option vs. the “All Pages”.

Cheers,
Adam

3 Likes

Hi Richard-
The picture you are referencing will not work to link unconnected tables to your Customer’s table. You will need to build your “child” tables with a link from child to the parent table (which in your case would be the Customers table).

What you are attempting to use is a local storage variable and is used for more complex connections and not the best way to connect dependent information to a customer. If you’d like to understand the Local Storage concept a bit more you can view the video in the following posting that @moe created.

Hope this helps,
Adam

Hi Adam, thank you so much for taking the time to make the video. What you have demonstrated is what i was trying to do in the first instance. Using the variable was an alternative idea as i couldn’t see a way to be able to access child pages like you have shown in the video. I would like to have a menu to access the linked pages but i had a look and it doesn’t seem doable, im sure i can make some buttons look like a menu.

Thank you so much again, i was about to give up thinking this wasn’t possible.

Hi @richardch372 -
Glad that you found a potential solution. You are correct that creating sub-menus for connected pages is not a native functionality in the TB platform. However, if you are savvy with CSS/JS I’m sure you can create some sub-menus that would work for each Customer using the custom component and/or HTML component features.

Happy to help in the future.
Adam

@SafetyUniversity thank you for this video. I learned a lot about these child detail pages you have linked to the parent (incident) - nice way to do this. Great work

Hey @SafetyUniversity, i feel pretty stupid asking this but after about 4 hours i can not get my customers page to show the linked child pages as in your video.

tb how ot connect child pages to details page
my child tables all have a connection to the parent table (users).

ive watched your video many times, checked out the manual and the youtube videos, i bet it’s something simple but i can’t find it. :thinking:

All the connected pages need to be linked either from the parent table (where you wouldn’t hide the columns) or where you select one single details page to be the primary Customer’s details page. Then from that details page you can place the link button links to the other child pages.

If you have the ability to do a short video and let us know what you are trying it would help identify the potential issues.

Adam

Hey Adam, i have created a quick video but didn’t realise it did not record sound. free version of screencast.

Basically I’m showing in the video that despite the connection in the tables, i do not have the same child pages that you have nested under your Incidents Page. When i go to the User Details page (likening this to your Dashboard) therefore when i try to add a Link component, i have no options to choose any linked page other than edit user or add user.

Im missing something but can’t work it out. I can’t