Create a list of unread documents

Hi,

I have parent table of documents.
I require each of our employees to acknowledge they have read some documents. So this is personal a list depending on the user.
So I made a child table with user, document, and acknowledgement date.

It is quite easy to make an overview of documents which have been read from the child table directly. But I want to create a list of unread/unacknowledged documents.

I need some help to get me started here. The problem is that this list is different for every loggedin person. So, it is a dynamic list and rollups do not work that way - you cannot choose “user in child table = loggedin-user” as a condition in the rollup.

Anybody ideas?

Hi @Peter -

No knowing how you have your application set up some high-level considerations include:

1. Adding a field that has options for read / unread
  2. Adding an action link or similar that has record rules assigned that will date/time stamp and log the logged in user when they have “read/acknowledge” the document.

Now, the piece that I am not sure of is…does each document get “assigned” to each user individually or do they go in and read all of them?

Hope this helps a little bit
Adam

@SafetyUniversity Adam, thanks for your thoughts.

This is a general database problem, less to do with the Tadabase platform I guess

The problem here is that there are many users. I do not want to hardcode a table for each user because that is resource intensive on the developer part.
Besides, the list of documents can change.

But you gave me an idea.

• Suppose I build an automation that runs like every night.
  • We check from the table of documents which documents are mandatory to read (query), so I get a subset of documents.
  • We loop through every current employee, and we update the table for the acknowledgements accordingly, so adding entrees for new documents and for new employees every night.
  • I have a read/unread field which gets manipulated by the users.

Then I would get a semi-dynamic table with all the documents, instead of a table with read documents per user only.

It will require pipes, which I avoided until now, but I guess such kind of sophistication requires me to learn about pipes after all. I will get into it.
Thanks Adam :slight_smile: