Duplicating parent and child records

I’m trying to follow some of the support docs to utilize the Tadabase Record Utilities pipe to duplicate parent and child records.

Here’s my setup with an action link in a table…

The parent record is being duplicated but the child records are not. The connection field is within the child table. Maybe that’s the issue?

Tim, its possible you’re setting a value to a join field that’s causing the issue.

In your “Set” you’re setting a connection field value to the the value of the Pipe status response. You’re effectively overwriting the connection field. I’d recommend creating a new field you can use just for this purpose.

The reason this might be happening is the way the pipe runs.

The record rule attempts to set all the values, if one of the values is a “Pipe Value” it will then trigger the pipe. This is perhaps not the best way to do it and we’re looking into running the pipe regardless of values being set.

One last thing I would try is setting the (Table ID) field to a custom value of Table ID vs the dropdown you’re using.

Please let me know if this works for you or you have any traditional questions.

Regards,

I’ll investigate. I created a join field in the parent that connects to itself per this support doc.

Oh I see. That was actually an example for importing child records from another record. Not really to duplicate parent and children at the same time.

Let me know.

Ah right, I figured that was the case. I was just trying to follow some soft of tutorial.

I tried setting the table ID to a custom value of my table ID but it still did not duplicate the child records.

Sorry for making you crazy. This is still all new and possibly has some bugs.

Would you mind doing this as a record rule instead of action link?

So inside a details page create a form that edits the record, remove all the fields and just trigger the pipe this way.

Yup I’ll give that a try tomorrow and report back.

Just to confirm, I don’t need to “set” anything right? Like you mentioned here

“ In your “Set” you’re setting a connection field value to the the value of the Pipe status response. You’re effectively overwriting the connection field. I’d recommend creating a new field you can use just for this purpose.”

Sorry, you do need to set a value. Maybe create a new field called “duplicated” and set this value to the pipe response value.

Meaning, the record rule is simply attempting to set the value of a field. It then detects that the value is a response value from a pipe, if yes, it will now trigger the pipe. If you don’t set the value, the pipe doesn’t know to get triggered.

So as a rule, pipes will only run if there’s a response value being utilized in the record rule.

Gotcha, but it doesn’t not need to be a connection field?

Correct. Can be any field.

1 Like

Tried your suggestion but it still did not work. I’m sorry but I left out an important detail…

The child records I’m trying to duplicate are located in a join table Events(parent) + Users --> Schedule (child records I’ve been trying to duplicate)

@tim.young I think we need to investigate more on support. Can you shoot us an email on support with the app details and support enabled and we’ll take a look?

Hi!

I have the same problem. When I try to use the Record Utility Pipe, att first, it works. Then later as I add some field in the child record. It will not work. I used the same setup.

I don’t understand. I am expecting that it is working. Then after working on the other page suddenly it will not work. it only copy the parent but not the child record.

I hope someone can address this please.

Thank you.