Equation field return currency result?

Basic Number Formula field can return a value formatted as currency. But as far as I can tell, the Equation field type cannot do this. If I need a more complex formula than that Basic Formula field permits, is it possible to format result of an equation field as a currency value?

1 Like

Hey @WilliamPorter

This can be done with the Equations CONCAT() function.

So for example, if you had a number field called “Number” the Equation would look like this

CONCAT(’$’,{Number})

You can combine this with the FORMAT function as well in case you wanted to limit the number to two decimal places for example.

CONCAT(’$’,FORMAT({Number},2))

Thanks @Chem. I knew I could go about it that way, at least to get a single result that I could display.

But does that product a result whose data type = number? In other words, say I wanted to get a grand total for that field? I need line items to show the price as a number (or numeral), but I also need a total somewhere and that also needs a currency sign.

In this case, would I use a Basic Formula to get the Charge calc result (Price * Quantity), a separate Equation field to display the price in a column of a table (using the CONCAT function as you suggested) and finally a totals field that referencees not the equation field but the basic formula field?

1 Like

I have the same problem, and hit the same limitation.
Did you ever find a solution to formating for formula results … its so frustrating that this is not there !

1 Like

Same here. It would be great to have an option for currency formatting in the equation field type!

1 Like

Same here. It would be great if I didn’t need an additional field just to be able to show a currency output from an equation (thats already outputting a number).

@WilliamPorter this code does work. But my concern is that it is constrained to a component/page level and therefore has to be copied and pasted everywhere you want to use it.

I was hoping someone could help us figure out how to do it sitewide, but I haven’t gotten a response to my post either.

1 Like