"Include" in API calls

I think it would be very helpful to have an “include” option in the API to be able to retrieve the data from connected tables with one API call.

In the current situation, we only get the recordID of the connected table, making necesary to make multiple API requests. I think it would be great to be able to retrieve the data of the connected table too, not only the recordId, avoiding the need to make multiple API calls.

Best regards!
Daniel

2 Likes

GraphQL! That’s what’s so intriguing about it.

We’re fully on RESTful but maybe on Tadabase v2.0.

Just for my own amusement, we can likely hack this in our API without something like GraphQL. You’d need to pass the the Connection field from this table, then the field in the remote table.This can get very complex:

For example, if I’m on Jobs table and have a connection field called “Company” (field_1), and in the **Company’**s table I have a field called “Company Phone” (field_200), I can do something like this:

https://api.tadabase.io/api/v1/data-tables/GArgLl7NmR/records?include={field_1:field_200,field_2:field_201}

We love challeneges and making our customers’ lives better, so we will look at this anyways, but this won’t be a top priority.

@moe although GraphQL can solve this problem, it introduces another problem. The amount of API calls. Most of us have throttle limits on our API calls per minute and day. Making separate requests for each table can severely inhibit operational capacity.

I understand the desire to stay RESTful in your API design, but given the above, there is a bit of a quandary here.