Use formula field for chart group values

It should be possible to use formula fields to group chart values.

E.g. I can create a formula that uses an IF statement, or a Date equation that returns days of the week in the formula, but then no way to produce charts grouped by these values, so if wanting to chart against:

  • Days
  • Months
  • Years
  • Derived Values (e.g. AM/PM, 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 etc)

Only work around I’ve found thus far is to have the derived value then set options on an option/radio button field, and then chart off of that field, but the table update rule to do this doesn’t fire until the record is subsequently updated (so I have to run a task each night to make an update to records where the option value is null) and makes the chart not update in real time.

2nd this, charts can’t use formula fields which is very frustrating